We provide training, professional development and support for farming and family farms of all sizes. Since 1970 the program has served over 1,400 farms in the Willamette Valley. We are here to help Oregon ag grow.
topics Agricultural Sciences
Skills & InterestLeadership
Why choose Agribusiness Management?
Our objective is empowering program participants with an understanding of sound business management principles and practices through a focus on effective financial record keeping analysis and interpretation.
You will learn state-of-the industry farm management skills, including –
- Business planning and organizational structure
- Optimization of production inputs through the Lean process
- Business financial records completion and interpretations
- Cost of production by class or enterprise
- Succession planning and exit strategies
- Tax strategies
- Employee relations and labor issues
- Leadership on the farm and in the community
What will you learn?
You will learn to create and maintain –
- Record keeping, records analysis and interpretation
- Goal setting: individual, family and business
- Cost of production
- Balance sheets
- Profit and loss statement
- By enterprise or crop system
- Whole farm
- Budgets and cash flow
What will you do?
You will be able to apply the best practices in the industry in running your farm business. Your knowledge will provide more business stability and increased opportunity for success and security for you and your family.
How and When to Join the Program
Enrollment - Next enrollment is in September 2020.
We are accepting reservations for Year One to begin Fall 2020.
- Contact the instructor by phone or email and request an application packet and get answers to questions you might have.
- The instructor will need your U.S Postal address to mail you "new student" materials and forms.
- Complete a class application (informational form) as soon as possible to reserve a spot in the class.
- We are accepting reservations for enrollment. File an application as soon as possible to reserve a spot.
- Formal registration forms with payment for the class begins in September.
Interested in testing your knowledge?
Take our quiz for a sampling of the kinds of things you'll learn in our program.
Courses Offered For 2020-2021
AgriBusiness Management Program (Non-Credit) Enrollmnent is closed until Fall 2020
The AgriBusiness Management Program at Chemeketa Community College focuses on the basic principles of agricultural recordkeeping and financial management education.
These non-credit courses provide agricultural business education for owners, family members and key personnel, including –
• Use of recordkeeping software
• Use of spreadsheet software
• Setting goals
• Staying informed about business and farming regulations
• Understanding cost of production
• Market fluctuations
• Interpreting and learning agricultural policy
• Succession planning and resolving family transition issues
• Payroll and employee issues
• Emerging and advancing technology.
The major emphasis is on the development and maintenance of a complete set of records and the skills necessary to interpret the records and use the information to make sound agricultural business management decisions regardless of the size of the farm business. The program is designed for a minimum commitment of three years, but because of ever-changing technology, policies and practices and changes in key personnel, an agricultural business may choose to enroll for numerous years.
These classes are taught in a classroom with additional instruction at your place of business for independent instruction that is tailored to fit your needs. Distance, online and evening classes are not available at this time.
Courses for 2020-2021
Agribusiness Management YEAR 1
Emphasizes setting agricultural business goals; developing a complete set of farm financial records; and analyzing those records for management decision making.
Agribusiness Management YEAR 2
Monitors and assesses financial position of the agricultural business based upon records and analysis obtained in AgriBusiness Management YEAR 1. Explores computerized accounting and income tax management.
Agribusiness Management YEAR 3
Focuses on reorganizing the agricultural business based on accumulated financial data. Further develops estate, retirement and labor management plans.
Agribusiness Management YEAR 5
Applies recordkeeping skills to individual businesses. Seminars scheduled and at-business training and support of record keeping, succession planning and employment policy.
Year One Schedule for 2019-20
2019-20 Course Schedule & Outline AgriBusiness Management Year ONE
Location: Chemeketa Community College, Salem Campus - Building 62, Room 101
Time: 9 am-12 pm
Note: Please schedule additional confidential on-farm assistance/training to meet your specific business needs.
REMAINING CLASSES FOR 2019-20
New Schedule to be posted in the Fall of 2020
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
Records Analysis and Interpretation – How, When & Why
- Real depreciation vs. functional and economic obsolescence and the IRS Tax Code
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
- Income and expense allocations amongst crops
- Understanding social styles and their importance
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Budgets & Cash Flows
- Making realistic projections using internal and external information - Why
- Whole farm budgets
- Partial budgets
- Family budgets
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Year End Review and Conclusion
Class schedules subject to change - rev 2/18/2020
Year Two - Five Seminar Series 2020-21 Schedule
Agribusiness Management 2020-21 Seminar Schedule - Classes 2, 3 & 5
Classes 2, 3 & 5 have been completed for 2019-2020. We are currently beginning formulate and evaluate a topic list for 2020-2021. Contact the instructor if you would like to see what was offered this past year.
Business consultations are available to current students through October.
Thanks for the fantastic year in this seminar series.