All criminal activity or emergencies on campus should be reported immediately to the Public Safety Office. Public Safety employees respond to all calls for service, but prioritize response according to the immediacy of the situation.
Emergencies to Report
- Matters involving personal safety or violence
- Property crimes
Public Safety Response
- Dispatch an Officer(s) to the scene of the reported incident
- Investigate the incident
- Take appropriate action(s) to identify, apprehend, and seek prosecution of the person(s) responsible
- Notify or request the assistance of other law enforcement and/or other agencies when necessary
- Take action(s) and/or make appropriate notifications
Witness reports are kept confidential to the extent lawfully possible.
Access to Facilities
Chemeketa buildings are generally open only when classes are scheduled. When the location is closed, all exterior doors are locked prohibiting unauthorized entry. Salem campus buildings are locked and the campus is closed between 11 pm-6 am each day and all day on Sunday and holidays.
Entry to buildings by authorized persons outside of normal business hours is possible by using an issued key or electronic access card. Keys and access cards are issued upon approval by the appropriate administrator.
The Chemeketa Public Safety Office can provide access to locked rooms on the Salem campus for properly authorized individuals. Call 503.399.5023 from an outside line (ext. 5023 from a college phone).
Access to buildings at community locations is normally controlled by the director of each facility.
- Safety escorts
- Battery jumps
- Lost and found
Everyone has a role in maintaining a safe learning environment at Chemeketa. Some safety tips include –
- Avoid walking alone during evening hours
- Park in well-lit areas
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Scan the interior of your parked car before entering
- Do not leave personal items unattended, either in parked vehicles or college buildings
- If appropriate, contact the Public Safety Office for an escort to a parked vehicle
- Notify Public Safety at 503.399.5023 of suspicious activities or people
CLERY ACT CRIME REPORT
This security report contains policy statements and crime statistics for all college at all locations. The Clery Report 2017 includes –
- The college's policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security
- Three years of statistics on certain types of crimes reported to have occurred at our locations and on public property within or immediately adjacent to our locations
Chemeketa maintains crime statistics for each of its locations. Statistics are tabulated from information compiled by the college Public Safety Office and information received from state and local law enforcement agencies with jurisdiction in areas where the college has a presence.
Weather Closures & Delays
If Chemeketa needs to close because of weather, the decision will normally be made by 6 am. Closure or delay notifications are announced in a variety of ways —
- Text, voice and email alerts. Staff and students can sign up for alerts here
- Posting information to the college’s Facebook page
- Notification of local print, radio and television media via FlashAlert
- Made to media sources in the Portland, Salem/Keizer, Woodburn, Dallas, Stayton/Sublimity, McMinnville and Albany areas
- Information is updated every 15 minutes, on the quarter hour
- Notification at the top of any chemeketa.edu page
- If Chemeketa does not alert in these ways, then the college is open regular hours
When weather conditions are bad, Chemeketa may open later than normal. The college will attempt to indicate the time when we will open. If the opening time is later than 8 am, any class, lab or other activity scheduled to begin before that time is canceled. Classes starting after that time are to be held as previously scheduled.
Evening classes (any class that begins after 5 pm) are never delayed but may be canceled even if daytime classes are not. A decision affecting evening classes and an announcement will normally take place by 4 pm.