Chemeketa creates a clear path for students who want to earn a four-year degree in education.
topics Service Professions
Skills & InterestHelping People
Why choose Education?
Educators play an important role throughout our lives. There is a high demand for quality math and science teachers as well as bilingual educators throughout the United States, so a career in education could take you anywhere.
Through a combination of select education courses, practicum experience and general education classes, students will experience a career in teaching from the very beginning and be prepared to successfully transfer to a university to complete their bachelor's degree.
- Complete the first two years of your degree
- Unique opportunity to use bilingual skills in an education career
- Classes offered in Salem and Woodburn
What will you learn?
Held in Salem and Woodburn, Chemeketa’s education classes will help you learn the foundations of teaching –
- Introduction to education
- Classroom practicum
- Foundations of the American education system
- Math and science instructional strategy
- Classroom management
- Student learning and development
- Children's literature and literacy development
- Technology in education
- Culturalry responsive pedagogy
- Teaching bilingual and English languages
- Inclusion: Special needs students
What will you do?
The leadership, communication, public speaking and teaching skills you learn in education courses can open doors to many professions –
- Social worker and counselor
- Business trainer and management
- Elementary, middle and high school teacher
- College professor, advisor and student life staff
CURRENT EDUCATION COURSES
Summer 2021 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED216 18425 Tues 9:30 AM-1:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 17872 Tues 5:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky MTH212 18399 Tues/Thurs 6:00-7:50 Yamhill Valley Campus Marcelo Peralta MTH213 18430 Tues/Thurs 6:00-8:20 PM Yamhill Valley Campus Warren Trotter Fall 2021 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED216 43590 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 43591 Thurs 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 43589 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 43592 Tues 5:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 33918 Wed 12:30-3:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED265 41829 Mon 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 42581 OL Online Chemeketa Online Yolanda Valdez MTH211 30299 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus Wayne Barber MTH211 43738 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Salem Campus Warren Trotter MTH211 41952 Tues/Thurs 6:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Marcelo Peralta MTH213 43110 Mon/Wed 5:00-6:50 PM Salem Campus Marcelo Peralta Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Winter 2022 Education Courses ED216 64317 Tues 12:30-3:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 64319 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 64318 Wed 1:00-3:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 64341 Wed 5:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Cecelia Monto ED229 53121 Wed 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED230 61549 Thurs 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED258 61132 Thurs 1230-3:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky LING210 62091 OL Online Chemeketa Online Yolanda Valdez LING210 63059 Tues/Thurs 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Paris Myers MTH211 53416 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH211 63923 Tues/Thurs 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH212 50969 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH212 62463 Mon/Wed 6:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus TBD Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Spring 2022 Education Courses ED COURSES TBD LING210 81027 OL Online Chemeketa Online Yolanda Valdez LING210 80524 Tues/Thurs 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Ed Lazzara MTH212 74727 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH213 80982 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD
For the most up-to-date course listings, go to Class Search.
TIPS FOR SUCCEEDING IN THIS PROGRAM
While in High School
- Be college-ready
- Take math and English during senior year
- Get any other college credits you can (AP courses, IB courses, College Credit Now)
- Keep your grades up - a 3.5 GPA or higher qualifies students to apply to become a Chemeketa Scholar
Apply to Chemeketa
- Follow the steps to apply
- Work with one of the Education advisors and Sara Csaky, Education Instructor, to begin work on your educational plan
While at Chemeketa
- Check in with advisor to ensure you continue to be enrolled in the correct classes for transfer
- Take the practicum class to help you determine your preference in teaching elementary, middle or high school students
Earn Your Bachelor's Degree
- Research and/or visit potential universities you would like to transfer to
- Attend college fairs and/or university presentations held on campus
- Complete all necessary enrollment and financial aid applications
- Take all necessary education courses
- Study for any necessary licensure exams
- TRANSFER UNIVERSITY INFORMATION VIDEOS
EDUCATION TRANSFER DEGREE ADVISING GUIDES
When you complete Chemeketa’s specially-designed two-year transfer degree, you qualify to enter as a junior at most four-year Oregon universities.
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa’s Education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.
Transfer guides –
- Corban University
- Eastern Oregon University
- George Fox University
- Pacific University
- Western Oregon University ASL
- Western Oregon University - BS in Education: Early Childhood/Elementary 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Language Arts 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Math 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Science 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Social Science 2019-20
To teach in Oregon's K-12 school system, you must be licensed and must have a minimum of a bachelor’s. For specific information on teacher credentials, visit the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission.
Oregon Teacher Scholars Program (OTSP)
Become a teacher
- Must be enrolled in an Oregon approved preliminary licensure program.
- Must be racially or linguistically diverse.
- Attend conferences/events.
- Connect with other scholars.
- Build resume skills.
- Network with potential future employers.
- $5,000 scholarship
Apply at OTSP between November 1st & March 1st
COMMUNITY COLLEGE TEACHER PATHWAY TUITION GRANT
Future teachers are invited to apply for the Community College Teacher Pathway Tuition Grant, funded by the Oregon Department of Education.
The tuition grant will cover tuition and fees for one ED class in the winter or spring terms of 2021. Apply online using this Grant Application.
STEM TEACHING NSF NOYCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Chemeketa has partnered with Pacific University and the National Science Foundation Noyce Program to support students seeking teaching careers in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM). The Pacific Chemeketa Noyce Inspires (PCNI) program creates a five-year pathway with financial and academic supports to ensure student success in becoming a STEM teacher. Graduates are in high demand and earn an average of $50,000 a year in the first year of STEM teaching-
- Year 1 - Enroll in Chemeketa and apply to become an PCNI STEM Teaching Explorer. You will receive a $500 scholarship, a free ED240 STEM Teaching Practicum class, and quarterly advising meetings.
- Year 2 - Complete your AAOT at Chemeketa as an PCNI STEM Teaching Intern. You will receive up to a $2,000 scholarship, participate in quarterly advising meetings and have a summer teaching internship position.
- Year 3 - Transfer to Pacific University (Forest Grove) as a NSF PSiMS Scholar to continue work on your bachelor’s degree in a STEM field and receive a $5,900 scholarship and academic advising.
- Year 4 - Complete your bachelor's degree as a NSF Noyce Scholar at Pacific University (Forest Grove) in a STEM field and receive a $10,000 scholarship.
- Year 5 - Attend Pacific University Woodburn Campus as a NSF Noyce Scholar to complete a Master of Arts in Teaching STEM and receive a $15,000 scholarship.
Use this link to apply for this fantastic opportunity: STEM Application
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR EDUCATORS
Chemeketa courses are offered to serve professional development needs of educators living in the area. Gain skills in the teaching field by taking classes, such as –
- Technology for Educators
- Spanish for Educators
- Multicultural Education
- Education based study abroad in Oaxaca (during spring break)
CONTACT AN ADVISOR
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa's education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process to achieve your goals.Juan Carlos Deloya – Advisor, Salem CampusFrancisca Sandoval-Juarez – Advisor, Woodburn Center
(se habla espanol)Cathy Martell-Straight – Advisor, Salem CampusNoemi Legaspi-Valverde - Pacific University Woodburn Community Networkernlegaspi@pacificu.eduDarlene Fritz - Western Oregon UniversitySchedule an appointment - Click hereAdvising website - Click here