High School Equivalency Program (HEP)
If you are a migrant or seasonal farmworker, you can earn your GED through Chemeketa.
The college is currently operating remotely, but we are here to help you apply for HEP. If you have any questions, please call us at 503.589.7725 and leave a detailed voicemail. We will return your call within 24 hours. You may also e-mail us.
What is the High School Equivalency Program?
The High School Equivalency Program (HEP) provides migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their children with an intensive study program to pursue their GED. You can enroll at any time during the regular academic year and take evening classes that will allow you to continue to work while earning your GED.
HEP will provide you with the academic skills necessary to pass the GED exams and other services, including –
- Academic advising
- Academic excursions
- Books and materials
- Classes in English and Spanish
- Tutoring services
- Technology and computer class
You might also eligible for the following assistance –
- Vision and dental
HEP is also available at our Yamhill Valley Campus.
To be eligible for the HEP you must –
- Be at least 16 years of age or older
- Must NOT have earned a secondary school diploma or its equivilent
- The student or one of their immediate family members must have worked as a migrant/seasonal farmworker for at least 75 days in the past 24 months. This includes any activity directly related to the production of:
- Dairy products
- Poultry or livestock
- Cultivation or harvesting of trees including nursery or forestry work
- Fish farming
- Or have participated within the past 24 months, in a Migrant Education Program (MEP) or the National Farmworker Jobs Program (NFJP)
- Apply for admission to Chemeketa
- Complete HEP application
- Take placement test to determine your academic level in math and reading
- Complete an interview with High School Equivalency Program staff to evaluate candidacy and answer questions
- Attend an orientation
HEP may also be available at your Chemeketa outreach center. Please contact us for more details.