Basic Nursing Assistant
Start your health service career.
About the Basic Nursing Assistant Program
This 165-hour training course is approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN). It consists of 90 hours on-campus classroom and lab and 75 hours of clinical in a long-term care facility. Successful completion qualifies individuals to take the Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation test for state certification as a Nursing Assistant.
The Basic Nursing Assistant course is a non-credit course offered year round on Chemeketa's Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses.
The Salem Campus class is usually offered Summer, Fall, and Winter terms, and can accept up to 10-20 students.
The Yamhill Valley Campus class is offered Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring Terms each year, and can accept up to 10 students .
Please see below for applications and class schedule/information-
SALEM CAMPUS APPLICATION & SCHEDULE
Salem Campus Course Schedule
Class/Lab (First 5 weeks of the course):
Monday - Thursday
4 pm - 9:30 pm
*Clinical Times (Second 5 weeks of the course):
Monday - Thursday
6 am - 2:30 pm
2 pm - 8:30 pm
*Clincial placement (time options) is based on the number of applicants and will be determined at orientation
This schedule may be subject to change. Additional information regarding schedules will be provided at the first class.
Salem Campus Application
- Download and complete the 2023 Application
- Please see table below for application submission dates.
- Submit your application on of the following ways:
- Upload required documents to the Application Submission form (click here)
- Drop off to the Health Sciences office at Building 8 Room 104
- Scan and email to email@example.com
Salem Campus Deadlines for Submitting Applications
May 8-19, 2023
August 7-18, 2023
December 4-15, 2023
No course offering spring term.
YAMHILL VALLEY APPLICATION
Yamhill Valley Campus Information
UPDATE (5-23-23) The summer term class is FULL, we are accepting applications for alternate positions only.
Fall term application and information will be posted after June 20.
The next time we will start a class is summer term (June 26) 2023. Application deadline is June 20, 2023.
Applications are accepted via scan/fax/email, or in person at the Yamhill Valley Campus. Once your application is received, you will be notified via email.
*Enrollment Minimum Rule*- We must have 6 students for our class to be offered. If we do not meet that enrollment minimum, the class could be cancelled.
There are 10 spots for the class, and completed applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis- the addresses are below:
Fax Number: 503.584.7546
Application Deadlines Term Acceptance Start Date Acceptance End Date* Summer 2023 Now June 20, 2023 or until full
If you have questions, please email Yamhill Valley Campus Career Tech Ed Programs.
Criminal Background Check Requirements
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Failure to complete the background check or a background check revealing a disqualifying criminal history will mean you are ineligible to participate in the BNA course.
Disqualifying crimes can be found in the Oregon Department of Human Services Aging & People with Disabilities and Developmental Disabilities ORS 443.004/OAR 407.007.0275 Crimes list. For more information and more in-depth list, click here.
For licensure with the Oregon State Board of Nursing, please visit the following links for DHS and OSBN's criminal history requirements.
- Oregon Department of Human Services criminal history requirements and policies, located in Division 7
- Oregon Board of Nursing’s criminal history requirements and policies, found in Division 1 of the Nurse Practice Act
Total cost for the BNA program at the Salem campus is $1,466. Costs are subject to change. They include –
- Tuition and fees
- Stethoscope, gait belt, oral care kit
Total cost for the BNA program at the Yamhill Valley Campus is $1,576. Costs are subject to change. They include-
- Tuition and fees
- Scrubs for clinical, stethoscope, gait belt, oral care kit
Non-credit courses are not eligible for financial aid, and fees must be paid in full by the first day of class, or install a payment plan.
Additional BNA Program Fees
Students will be required to pay for –
- A background check – approx. $45
- Required drug testing – approx. $45
- Immunizations – cost varies
- CPR training – cost varies
- Parking pass (Salem Campus only) – approx. $25
After course completion, you will be responsible for testing fees for the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN) include –
- Application to test – $106
- Fingerprinting – $70.50
- Chemeketa student identification number and Chemeketa email address
- Successful completion of RD 080 and RD085 or RD090 with a C or higher or placement into RD115 via Chemeketa's placement test or proof of completing an Associate Degree or equivalent credits or higher
- Successful completion of CPR Certification - American Heart Association "BLS Provider Level"
- Attendance at mandatory orientation, passing the criminal background check and required drug screen, and completing required immunizations
- Mandatory orientation for applicants accepted into the class
- Commitment to being at every class session and clinical session
- Reliable transportation
Instructions on how to complete background check and drug screen will be given to accepted applicants only.
For more information call the Health Sciences Dept at 503.399.5058.