Learn the skills of an occupation while earning a family-wage paycheck through on-the-job training and related instruction. You also have options for lifelong learning and advancement in a variety of construction trade careers.
Skills & InterestWorking with your hands
Why choose program or class?
Apprenticeship programs at Chemeketa Community College open the door to abundant career opportunities in Oregon. We offer rigorous four-year programs that combine part-time instruction and full-time on-the-job training in partnership with industry committees. Programs are competitive and include an application process and committee approval.
Our apprenticeship programs cover these four occupations, which are designated as primary workforce needs in our area –
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning/Refrigeration (HVAC/R) Technician
- Inside Wire Electrician
- Sheet Metal Worker
What will you learn?
- Repair, install and maintain a variety of projects using trade-specific tools and techniques
- Comply with current building codes
- Comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Students may earn a Certificate of Completion by completing three required general education courses plus twelve courses in one area of specialization
- Students may earn an AAS degree by completing six required general education courses plus 12 additional courses in one area of specialization and receiving a journey-level card
What will you do?
- Learn a skilled-trade
- Advance your career
- Successful HVAC/R apprentices qualify for LE/B licensure and earn their journey-level card
- Successful plumber apprentices qualify for state licensure and earn their journey-level card
- Successful sheet metal apprentices earn their journey-level card
- Successful electrician apprentices qualify for state licensure and earn their journey-level card
Classes for the HVAC/R, Sheet Metal and Plumbing Apprenticeship Programs are offered at the Salem Campus.
The Electrician Apprenticeship Program are at the IETC Independent Electrical Training Center on Portland Road.